This is my suggestion list for bands to check out. I’m too lazy to put in venue/dates but you can search the showcase website and find out where stuff is playing. Please note I’m not a music writer and I have been busting my ass for the past month or so at work and not really sleeping which means a lot of this may come off as nonsensical. Also I’m probably forgetting stuff.
the name makes you not want to like them but they are totally shreddy and awesome chicks - new record is out on Slumberland - LISTEN TO IT
- really good guitar work and they are on Panache so I definitely expect a good live show
- it’s like they spent all their formative years listening to/extracting the best parts of every Dischord artist and they are super fun live but bring earplugs jesus christ bring earplugs
- this is a little more Nashville sludge than punk but they are super fun love
tiny dynamo, so much fun to watch on stage because she loops everything and shes doing some really cool bedroom pop stuff but like washed out fuzzy production
: Australian babe (SORRY IT’S A FACT) and she’s making some interesting production choices. A lot of it is climactic and awesome.
Gang of Youths
: Again, not reinventing the wheel but Evangelists gets good at the end
showcase - love Rush Midnight
and there was one Jensen Sportag
song MAD EYES that I used to be super obsessed with like 10 years ago (I shit you not) and now they’re doing some sexy 80s-ish cool production stuff so definitely check that out
: maybe nothing will come of this, maybe something will
- the next Killers. Totally biased but also that’s a fact.
- Billy from Pianos played this for me exactly a year ago and it’s still a near perfect song for me
Pumpin Blood will be in every car commercial for the next 6 months
TV Girl -
I love the crunchy production on She Smokes In Bed - total earworm.
- some songs make your heart burst
- LOVE LOVE LOVE so fun live, the exact right amount of cheese, earworms galore
- v shimmery at parts and they definitely like Fleetwood Mac
- very much like YES WE CAN DO THIS, LETS DO IT music
R&B / Slinky
- DUH they sound like nothing else I can think of currently
- kinda r&b, kinda sexy, some nice bass lines - have no idea how this will come off live but it’s interesting
: SHOUT OUT TO NASHVILLE, Derek calls this Emotional EDM but all I know is I want to make out to this real bad
- I get some serious 80s prince guitar vibes
- sometimes it reminds me of bone thugs and sometimes it reminds me of weeknd and sometimes i just wanna get high and listen to it
- fully into this production wise, song wise, voice wise, 10000% on board
- James is one of the most talented songwriters I have ever met and his ear for harmonies and melodies is unmatched. Love.
- not reinventing the wheel but there are some good guitar bits and it reminds me of bands I was in love with in HS
- I want to see where this goes but he’s very talented
do you miss WU LYF? I miss WU LYF. If WU LYF listened to some new wave and then got sensitive and made a new band it’d be Holy Esque
- keep an eye out, good guitars and her songwriting is kind of playful but also weary and a little angry
- she’s got a good voice and a good instinct for song construction
- love these guys even though the flume remix of this track is better
- can’t explain it but it’s like she sang her own version of Janet Jackson techno remixes and I love it
The entire showcase at The Delancey on Thursday night is pretty good electronic stuff - Born Gold, Float Fall, Hermitude etc.
I DONT EVEN KNOW:
: sometimes when I listen I feel like I’m in James Bond opening credits
- scary and beautiful
- have no idea how this will translate live which is why I’m into it
OK THATS IT FOR NOW.